Thursday, October 7, 2010

Speaking of pasta....I am thoroughally grossed out to the max!

Guess what I found in my brand new Mahatma Rice from Publix (that I got free?) It's the saw-toothed grain beetle Oryzaephilus surinamensis EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! (Pic taken from HERE these aren't mine mine are in the trash!)
Rice bugs!
This prompted me to clean out my stockpile and bag EVERYTHING and yes I mean EVERYTHING in heavy duty see-thru zip lock bags just to make sure that all of my PRECIOUS (and recently purchased free) pasta is bug-FREE! I was lucky that I had all of my Mahatma rice in a separate box (THANK GOD) but still.....check your bags. I have been reading up more on the saw-toothed grain beetle and I found out that their eggs may be inside of our rice or burrowed deep into the rice--so even if we don't initially see them they are in there!!! And I can't afford for my stockpile to be contaminated!

No comments: